Two-Factor Authentication is an enhanced security measure to secure your cPanel account and requires two forms of authentication:
- your username and password
- a security code generated from a 2FA app on your smartphone
2FA activation on cPanel
The 2FA two-factor authentication apps suggested by cPanel are:
- Go to cPanel > SECURITY > Two-Factor Authentication.
- Click on "Set Up Two-Factor Authentication".
- Next, you must link your cPanel account to your 2FA application:
- Scan the QR code by the 2FA app to link your cPanel account and automatically generate a security code;
- Enter the generated code in "Security code";
- Click on "Configure two-factor authentication".
You can manually generate the security code by entering the account information and key on your 2FA application.
- A message appears informing you that two-factor authentication has been successfully configured.
- Each time you log into your cPanel account, you must retrieve the six-digit security code from your 2FA application, and enter it in the "Security code" field:
2FA activation on Plesk
Plesk comes with a number of features that allow you to log into the control panel without using a password.
To get started, you need to download and install the Google Authenticator app on your Android or iOS smartphone.
- To enable this authentication, log into Plesk
- In "Websites & Domains", click on "Google Authenticator"
- Check the box "Activer l’authentification multifacteur"
- To configure the extension, first scan the QR code with your smartphone:
- You will receive a verification code, put it in the "Code de vérification" field
- The "Se souvenir de l'appareil" function allows your browser to keep your "Google Authenticator" authentication information for a certain number of days (Example: 30 days).
- Click on "OK" to confirm the activation.
- When you try to log into your Plesk account, you will be prompted to enter a verification code.
Refer to the "Google Authenticator" application that you have installed on your phone to obtain the code.